Tuesday 15 March 2011

The Tooth Fairy Meets the Tallest Man in the World!

November 8, 2010

Dear Parents,

Whooweee! Am I poopered! I literally just sat down only moments ago. I really have been that busy this week. In the time since I have been flying around the world to replace teeth with a little monetary gift for kids, I am quite positive this has been my longest week. At first I couldn’t figure out what could possibly be the cause for such a rash of children losing their teeth in one week. And then it dawned on me. Halloween! Of course!

In a given week I can get be called out to six or seven homes. But last week I went to 45! Well, 46, actually, if you count the poor child whose tooth cracked, rather than came out whole. In total I sent out 46 Tooth Fairy Certificates and between my wings and my wrists (from typing all those names), as soon as I am finished writing this update for you, I am going to sleep until tomorrow night!

One encounter in particular stood out for me (apart from the sweet and loveable Carolyn whose left incisor cracked) and is worth mentioning.

I was called to the home of famous basketball player (I wish I could mention his name), but I signed a non-disclosure agreement). I can say that he plays for the NBA and one of the colors in his team’s uniform is blue. He’s pretty tall; I think about 6 feet 12, or something. Oh wait, that’s 7 feet tall, isn’t it? He’s African American and he has three kids. Did that narrow it down for you? Okay, maybe not. ?

Anyway, his wife and he have such darling kids. The two older ones were told they could stay up and wait for me. You see, Jason and Molly, who are nine and 11 and they have telling their baby sister Sharon that I don’t exist. Their parents wanted to prove to them that I do. (Oh did you think I used their real names? I am not that gullible)!

No one was more surprised than Molly when I flew through the window just after 1:00 a.m. on Thursday night. I really tried to get to their home sooner but I was making stops in Nashua, New Hampshire, Clarksville, Mississippi, Oak Park, Illinois, Saginaw, Michigan and Eden, Minnesota. At least I had enough smarts to start on the east coast and work my way west. Goodness the United States is large! And I am only little being who’s less than 2 inches long!

Anyway, sorry, I digress, just in case you forgot…

So, I arrived at the home of the James family (for lack of a better name) and oh where was I? Oh yes, Molly! Well, as soon as I flew in, she is the first one who spied me. She let out a huge gasp and covered her mouth. “See, I told you she exists!” Yelled Jason.

“You liar! You insisted she was a fake, too. Stop telling tales.” Molly responded.

“I do exist. You can even touch me, but first, please tell me which way to your sister’s room. I have very important business to tend to.”

“May we follow you?” Asked Molly.

“Only if you promise not to make noise and wake up Sharon. Is that a deal?”

Upon finishing my sentence, the tallest man I have ever in my life seen came in from the kitchen to the family room. I flew toward him and hovered around his head as I sized him up. His voice was as low as his body tall. He extended his hand and introduced himself. His wife was suddenly beside him. She was pretty normal height, but pretty tall for a woman. I would say she was about 5 feet 11 or so. It was then I realized that their kids, who if you remember are only nine and 11 were as tall as a 13 and 15-year old. I was also mesmerized by their extraordinary good looks. “Are you a model Mrs. James?”

“Oh no, I am a professor. But thank you! That’s the nicest thing anyone has ever asked me.”

We all flew to Sharon’s room, scuse me, I flew, and they walked behind me. I did what I had to do and Molly and Jason asked how I did that so quickly?

“Practice. I have been doing this for 200 years.” Oops, I hadn’t meant to tell them how old I was.

“Would you like to see my memorabilia room?” Asked the tall and handsome basketball player. “I feel sort of silly having one and at first I wasn’t going to, but then my team won a few championships I thought it was silly putting them in our bedroom.”

“Oh please! You’re actually my last stop for the night. I would be honored. I have never been to the home of a basketball player. I have been to many celebrities’ homes, but they’re sort of funny people. I usually end up meeting with the assistant and never see them. So this is a real treat! Thank you!”

In this room, which was larger than my entire house, I saw several glassed cases with trophies, plaques, banners, autographed photos and copies of him on the cover of so many magazines. What a career this man has had. He explained that he was about to retire and that this was a good time. He’s had a wonderful career and he was very thankful to do what he’s loved most in this world. He said that he was considering going back to get his Master’s, in what he wasn’t sure.

I asked his wife about where she teaches and she and I chatted a good while about the University and her students. She was about to make tenure and she too was very happy to do something she loves.

I left their home with the warmest feelings. Molly and Jason gave me a hug and their parents joined in. I just loved them! Before I left, I asked if I could print out a Tooth Fairy Certificate so Sharon would have something immediate, since she missed all of this while she slept soundly with her cat.

Now with that, my dears, goodnight until next week.

Love,
The Tooth Fairy


View the original article here