Wednesday 16 March 2011

Brasil, France, England, Canada, Oklahoma and Texas

Dear Parents,

Can I just say that I am getting my frequent flyer miles in these last few weeks? This past week alone I have visited children in Brasil, Canada, England and France. I finished out the week in Tulsa, Oklahoma after spending a long night in Corpus Christi, Texas.

If you recall, last week my travels took me Buenos Aires, I immediately got the ‘call’ that a young girl who lived along the Amazon had lost her third tooth. Not having access to television or the Internet, she wasn’t even aware who the Tooth Fairy was. Neither, I am told, were her friends and family. They live, if I understand this correctly, not too different from how your ancestors lived hundreds if not thousands of years ago. It turns out that little Agueda is the first in her fishing village to be visited by me. I had to check my records and indeed that was correct. After I stuck some money under her pillow, I stayed and chatted with her parents a little while. They were a little fascinated by my outfit. Quite honestly, so was I by theirs! Agueda already has a Tooth Fairy Certificate in the mail to her.

I made rather routine stops in Montreal, Canterbury (England), a little town in the South of France named Barjols and Tulsa. Children lost their teeth, I arrived to leave them a little gift and left as quickly as I came. In one case, I had to slip out the chimney. Mom and Dad in England had already closed their windows and clean as they were, I flew right into one! Ouch!

On my way to Tulsa, I got the message on my mobile phone (how did you think I get notified about kids and their missing teeth? Telegraph? Wire? Come on, I am hip!) that Carlos lost his tooth. When I arrived, however, I learned the extent of the situation. He lost one, and one was sure to follow, any minute. It isn’t common for two teeth to come out simultaneously unless it is by accident.

I hung out and chatted with Mom, Dad, Carlos’s older brothers and sister and it seems like all his aunts and uncles. They kept asking me questions about how I got into this line of work and I said that I really hadn’t known the answer. I couldn’t remember when I wasn’t the Tooth Fairy and handing out Tooth Fairy Certificates. My guess was that I was born this way, wings and all.

Fortunately, Carlos didn’t see me, I have a special device that I can turn on and off at will for occasions such as these. After Carlos lost his second tooth, he fell asleep from utter exhaustion and I slipped in between his pillow and him and exchanged his tooth with a little gift. I hear that he woke up just as I was leaving. Boy did his parents have a lot of explaining to do.

I just finished his Tooth Fairy Certificate and it is already on its way.

Goodnight and Sweet Dreams (not too sweet, keep those teeth as long as you can!)

Love,
The Tooth Fairy


View the original article here