Wednesday 16 March 2011

The Tooth Fairy Gets the Flu

Dear Parents,

I am so sick! I caught the flu some place. Yes, faeries do get ill, quiet though it’s kept. I will be honest, it’s been nearly 20 years since I have had the flu. This entire week I have been in bed and feeling what you might call crummy! My body aches, I have had a fever the last few days, I have had the wretched stomach yuckies and as Hanne has been describing it, I feel as if a Mack truck hit me. Quite honestly though, tiny as I am, it’s a more accurate description to say that I was hit by a Tonka truck, with the force of tantrum throwing 2-year-old behind it.

I have been in bed since last Tuesday, barely able to stay warm enough, but I know because Hanne told me that I did visit several homes of children this week. When it was necessary for me to crawl out of bed, I took some Theraflu and got to where I needed to be, slipped in completely undetected and replaced children’s teeth with money. The terribly sad thing is that I have no recollection of anything! As soon as I came home, I’d crawl into bed and ask Hanne to send these lovely children a Tooth Fairy Certificate.

I am so embarrassed to report that I have nothing to share with you as far as one single adventure. My only accomplishment is that I made it out of the house apparently five times this week, but was so, as you humans call it, “hopped up” on flu medication that I can’t recall a thing. It seems as though I must have been successful because I didn’t receive any “call backs” meaning that each child got what he or she was expecting.

My lovely parents, this letter will be short, certainly shorter than you are used to receiving from me. I am going to crawl back into bed and hope that I start to feel better soon. I am convinced that it is better to have the flu once every couple of years instead of one in 20! I am sure that my body has made up for not having been ill in the time it took for an entire generation to be born and grow up. Surely this must explain why I have been sick for 5 days.

Please wish the Tooth Fairy well and hope that this week upcoming is better than this last one. If I somehow missed sending out a Tooth Fairy Certificate to any of the deserving children who lost their teeth, I sincerely apologize. I will ask Hanne to go over the list with me again to make sure that each child I visited this week got one.

Goodnight and believe me, I very much look forward to talking with you next week when I am feeling my old Tooth Fairy self again!

Love,
The Tooth Fairy


View the original article here