Monday 27 June 2011

I’m not Laughing at You…


I’m laughing with you…but in order for me to do so, you need to laugh. So, start laughing now.

Tuesday afternoon, while trolling the internet, NPH appeared and my heart soared. I have such a man-crush on him, no homo…well, he homo, me nomo.

Sunday night, the 65th Tony Awards were held with NPH hosting. His opening number, simply perfect.

Brook Shields…gg. pwned. n00b.

Looking for more great performances from the Tony Awards, I clicked on related videos. I highly recommend NPH and Hugh Jackman’s duet.

After that, I came upon a video that said, Book of Mormon performance at the 2011 Tony Awards.

Curious, I clicked on it. I invite you to do so as well.

I don’t know what to think. I don’t know if I should smile and laugh, or cringe in disgust. I actually went back and forth between the two as I watched the video.

And I’m left asking myself, and subsequently you, “Is this appropriate?”

In a multicultural, multiethnic, multifaith world, we should not take our personal beliefs too far as to infringe upon the rights of others. I am a devout Christian, but would never want to force my belief system on to someone else who is unresponsive and uninterested in my faith. Our Canadian forefathers, when establishing our nation, set forth these freedoms;

freedom of consciencefreedom of religionfreedom of thoughtfreedom of belieffreedom of expressionfreedom of the pressfreedom of peaceful assemblyfreedom of association

These freedoms are the foundation for human rights in our society. All people should be free to worship whatever deity they see fit, or worship nothing at all. This is the spirit of community, that we should accommodate others different from us.

But does this spirit of accommodation allow for us to demand the understanding and forgiveness of those we mock and patronize? No, it does not.

Are we forcing the gentle forgiving nature of a pocket of religious people, whom we don’t understand or accept as normal, to accommodate our “pagan” and “heretical” “art”?

“Hey, calm down, it’s just a play, it’s just parody, it’s just comedy. Don’t get angry. Don’t take things too seriously.”

Is this our mindset? Because if it is, how far can we take this attitude?

This musical is critically acclaimed, having won 9 Tony Awards this past weekend. The performance at the Tony Awards receives a rousing ovation. Trey Parker and Matt Stone, (yes of South Park fame) have been lauded for their creation.

And so, we celebrate an original and creative piece…at the expense of some people’s most intimate feelings and beliefs?

Mormonism, I simply do not understand. I don’t accept what they believe. I don’t agree with their viewpoint, I don’t like their doctrine on Jesus. Christianity has worked hard to distance themselves from Mormonism. Our Gods may look the same, but they are unequivocally different.

Though my opinion differs greatly from these people, I am uncomfortable with the brazen attitude that has been taken with them.

At the altar of free speech, free expression, and art can we continue to deride a people group?

Can I call a gay person a fag? But do so in rhyme and melody and get away with it?Can I mock Asians and their slanted eyes? So long as I do it in dance?Can I subjugate women to second class citizenship? With a witty quip and a smile?Can I call into question the “crazy” goings-on in the Muslim faith? If I get talented actors and actresses to play the part?Can I laugh at the physically and mentally “special”? “disabled”? “handicapped”? “RETARDED”? As long as it’s parody?

Yes, I probably can. But no, I definitely should not.

This is not the celebration of diversity in society. This is the poaching of segments of society who are smaller and weaker than that of the whole of society. That is bullying. And the thing with bullying and preying on a segment of society, is that at one point, you will undoubtedly find yourself as the recipient of attack and rebuke, of mimicry and parody, of full-grown hatred and disdain.

Some may argue that this is just the nature of humanity, the way it has always been. Some may argue that people are predisposed to mock and fear that which we do not understand, that which is foreign to us. And besides, “we all do this to each other, it’s been done to me.”

Just because this was understood and accepted behaviour in the past, doesn’t make it right. And if it is fear that drives us and you fear what you don’t understand, seek to understand it and maybe, just maybe, the fear will go away. And just because one segment of people, a segment that you may have been a part of, was ridiculed, does not make it right for you to ridicule another.

As I wrote this piece, I wasn’t sure where I stood in all this. But as I’ve put my thoughts down, I’ve come to the realization that I am not comfortable with this work of art. I applaud its musicality, the talent of the singer, and the creative element, but I do not accept that the content should be applauded. It is offensive and in poor taste.

I sat in a seminar once, where  a comedian stated that, “all humour is at the expense of someone.” And for him, that is why he always chose self-deprecation, because he could take his own jokes. And maybe that’s what I wish happened here. Maybe, if it were Mormons making fun of Mormons, saying to us non-Mormons, “Hey, it’s okay, we can all laugh about this”, then I would. But it’s not.

This is one person benefiting from alienating another person. And that just doesn’t feel right to me.

I am reminded of the “golden” principle, a tenet of many faith systems, including my own…Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

Broadway, Tony Awards, Matt Parker and Trey Stone, I’m not laughing at you. I’m not laughing with you. I am simply, not laughing.

————

What do you think about the play? over the line? appropriate?

What do you think of my opinion? right? wrong? misguided? too serious?

What do you think!


View the original article here